The majority of sexual problems are caused by a mixture of physical and psychological factors. Therefore, my treatment approach is an integrated treatment programme that combines specialist medical and psychotherapeutic interventions to achieve the best outcomes.
I am an expert in dealing with sexual problems of all degrees of complexity; however, my particular expertise is helping people with complex and enduring sexual difficulties associated with chronic physical and mental health conditions.
I have worked as an NHS consultant psychiatrist and am head of the national psychosexual service at the Maudsley Hospital since 2009, where I lead a team of doctors and psychologists and oversee treatment of over 200 patients.
Common sexual difficulties I can help with:
- Lack or loss of sexual desire
- Sexual aversion
- Difficulties with achieving and mainlining erection
- Premature, retarded ejaculation and non-ejaculation
- Painful sex (vaginismus and dyspareunia)
- Hypersexual disorder / sexual addiction
- Other disorders related to sexuality and sexual functioning
- Intimate relationship disharmony
- Psychological or physical problems following sexual abuse or violence (psychosexual rehabilitation)
- Problematic sexual preferences that could result in physical or emotional damage to patient and/or their sexual partner(s)